Summer is here, bringing along a slew of insects and bugs. To keep these pests at bay the natural way, you need look no further than these simple DIY recipes — for people, pets, and the home — courtesy of this episode of Earth911TV.
Natural DIY Recipes To Repel Bugs
This article contains affiliate links that help fund our Recycling Directory, the most comprehensive in North America. If you purchase an item through one of these links, we will receive a small commission.
Bug Spray (for People)
- Combine all ingredients, pour into bottles, and shake vigorously to blend.
- Allow the solution to synergize for one hour.
Shake the bottle prior to each use. Apply liberally to skin as needed.
Flea Collars (for Cats and Dogs)
- 1 teaspoon unflavored vodka
- 1 drop eucalyptus essential oil
- 1 drop cedarwood essential oil
- 1 drop lemongrass essential oil
- Add the vodka and essential oils to a very small bowl and stir to blend.
- Lay the collar flat on a baking sheet and pour directly over the length of the collar until fully absorbed.
- Air-dry until at least partly dry.
Collars are meant to be used as soon as they have dried enough to be comfortable for the pet. Recharge the collar weekly by soaking in fresh formula.
Pest-Repelling Potpourri (for Home)
This mixture is great for repelling all flying and crawling pests, including mice. Place in the food pantry, bedroom, closet, dresser, armoires, or alongside the attic, basement, window sill, or foundation.
- Combine all ingredients.
- Fill small bowls or muslin sachet bags with the mix.
- Place around the house.
- Recharge containers every couple of weeks by adding another drop or two of the essential oils.
- Make a new batch every three months to maintain effectiveness.
- Sprinkle the spent herb blend around the edges of landscaping beds.
Originally published on May 25, 2016, this article was updated in June 2023.